[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Adding new deliverables

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 12 13:25:18 UTC 2017

Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> So from my point of view, while I understand why project separation
> makes sense in the long run, I will argue that at this moment it will
> be hurtful for the project. Our community is still fairly integrated,
> and I'd love to keep it this way a while longer. We haven't yet fully
> cleaned up mess that split of kolla-ansible caused (documentation and
> whatnot). Having small revolution like that again is something that
> would greatly hinder our ability to deliver valuable project, and I
> think for now that should be our priority.

FWIW my email was not meant as an immediate request to split Kolla
because its internal structure goes against the OpenStack project
structure. In particular as long as the Kolla subteams are fine
operating under a single umbrella and being seen as a single "team",
there is no need to change that, that would be a distraction.

I just wanted to explain that a lot of the organizational problems the
Kolla team is going through are caused by this "umbrella" model and that
we designed the current OpenStack project structure precisely to avoid
them. I also don't want to discourage any Kolla subteam (or future
project leveraging Kolla images) which feels like it would operate
better as a separate project team to file for official inclusion.

Cheers!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)