[openstack-dev] 答复: [heat] glance v2 support?

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 14:34:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:50 AM, Thomas Herve <therve at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2017-01-10 15:28:04 -0500:
>>> location is a required property:
>>>
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Glance::Image
>>>
>>> The resource type literally does not do anything else but expose a Heat
>>> interface to a feature of Glance that no longer exists in v2. That's
>>> fundamentally why "add v2 support" has been stalled for so long ;)
>>>

>> I think most of this has been beating around the bush, and the statement
>> above is the heart of the issue.
>>
>> The functionality was restricted and mostly removed from Glance for a
>> reason. Heat users will have to face that reality just like users of
>> other orchestration systems have to.
>>
>> If a cloud has v1.. great.. take a location.. use it. If they have v2..
>> location explodes. If you want to get content in to that image, well,
>> other systems have to deal with this too. Ansible's os_image will upload
>> a local file to glance for instance. Terraform doesn't even include
>> image support.
>>
>> So the way to go is likely to just make location optional, and start
>> to use v2 when the catalog says to. From there, Heat can probably help
>> make the v2 API better, and perhaps add support to to the Heat API to
>> tell the user where they can upload blobs of data for Heat to then feed
>> into Glance.
>
> Making location optional doesn't really make sense. We don't have any
> mechanism in a template to upload data, so it would just create an
> empty shell that you can't use to boot instances from.
>
> I think this is going where I thought it would: let's not do anything.
> The image resource is there for v1 compatibility, but there is no
> point to have a v2 resource, at least right now.

If we do nothing, we force our heat-template users to keep Glance v1
API enabled in their cloud (+ running Glance Registry service), which
at some point doens't make sense, since Glance team asked to moved
forward with Glance v2 API.

I would really recommend to move forward and stop ignoring the new API version.

> We could document how to hide the resource in Heat if you don't deploy
> Glance v1.
>
> --
> Thomas

Emilien Macchi