[openstack-dev] [telemetry] [ceilometer] [panko] ceilometer API deprecation

William M Edmonds edmondsw at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 11 13:06:47 UTC 2017

On 01/10/2017 09:26 AM, gordon chung wrote:
> On 10/01/17 07:27 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 09 2017, William M Edmonds wrote:
> >
> >> I started the conversation on IRC [5], but wanted to send this to the
> >> mailing list and see if others have thoughts/concerns here and figure
out
> >> what we should do about this going forward.
> >
> > Nothing? The code has not been removed, it has been moved to a new
> > project. Ocata will be the second release for Panko, so if user did not
> > switch already during Newton, they'll have to do it for Ocata. That's a
> > lot of overlap. Two cycles to switch to a "new" service should be
enough.

> well it's not actually two. it'd just be the one cycle in Newton since
> it's gone in Ocata. :P
>
> that said, for me, the move to remove it is to avoid any needless
> additional work of maintaining two active codebases. we're a small team
> so it's work we don't have time for.
>
> as i mentioned in chat, i'm ok with reverting patch and leaving it for
> Ocata but if the transition is clean (similiar to how aodh was split)
> i'd rather not waste resources on maintaining residual 'dead' code.

After discussing with my team, I think we will need to propose a revert.
The deprecation process was not followed correctly here. We will start
working on moving to panko, but we are not sure we can contain that for
Ocata. Please follow the deprecation process correctly in future and we can
avoid this hassle for everyone.