[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Mistral Workflow for deriving THT parameters

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 23:40:52 UTC 2017

On 01/04/2017 09:13 AM, Saravanan KR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The aim of this mail is to ease the DPDK deployment with TripleO. I
> would like to see if the approach of deriving THT parameter based on
> introspection data, with a high level input would be feasible.
>
> Let me brief on the complexity of certain parameters, which are
> related to DPDK. Following parameters should be configured for a good
> performing DPDK cluster:
> * NeutronDpdkCoreList (puppet-vswitch)
> * ComputeHostCpusList (PreNetworkConfig [4], puppet-vswitch) (under review)
> * NovaVcpuPinset (puppet-nova)
>
> * NeutronDpdkSocketMemory (puppet-vswitch)
> * NeutronDpdkMemoryChannels (puppet-vswitch)
> * ComputeKernelArgs (PreNetworkConfig [4]) (under review)
> * Interface to bind DPDK driver (network config templates)
>
> The complexity of deciding some of these parameters is explained in
> the blog [1], where the CPUs has to be chosen in accordance with the
> NUMA node associated with the interface. We are working a spec [2], to
> collect the required details from the baremetal via the introspection.
> The proposal is to create mistral workbook and actions
> (tripleo-common), which will take minimal inputs and decide the actual
> value of parameters based on the introspection data. I have created
> simple workbook [3] with what I have in mind (not final, only
> wireframe). The expected output of this workflow is to return the list
> of inputs for "parameter_defaults",  which will be used for the
> deployment. I would like to hear from the experts, if there is any
> drawbacks with this approach or any other better approach.

hi, I am not an expert, I think John (on CC) knows more but this looks
like a good initial step to me.

once we have the workbook in good shape, we could probably integrate it
in the tripleo client/common to (optionally) trigger it before every
deployment

would you be able to join the PTG to help us with the session on the
overcloud settings optimization?

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-pike
--
Giulio Fidente