[openstack-dev] [tc][goals] Microversions in OpenStack projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jan 10 14:06:06 UTC 2017

Excerpts from LAM, TIN's message of 2017-01-09 21:43:55 +0000:
> As noted in [1], "Add microversion to REST APIs" is one of the cross-project
> community goals.  Given the scope and the fact there is still discussion on
> what "microversion" means to each project and the exact technical
> implementation, what are your thoughts on the direction the community should
> take with regards to this goal.
>
> Aside from adopting microversions, what other consistent API behaviors should
> the community be aiming for in future release? Also, is this goal a potential
> target for the Q- or R-release.
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/community-goals
>

> Tin Lam
> AT&T Integrated Cloud Engineer

In general, goals need someone ready to lead the work of writing
the definition and a small team of guides ready to help with
implementation details. I don't know if we have anyone committed
to fill either of those roles for the microversion goal. For now,
it is listed on the backlog to encourage discussion (like this
thread).

If there are other API consistencies we want to introduce, I think
those would need to be defined as separate goals so we can be clear
about the impact and the desired end state, so we can clearly define
what "done" means. As Ed said in his response, if you have suggestions
for those sorts of changes, talking about them with the API working
group would be a good first step.

Doug