[openstack-dev] [infra][diskimage-builder] containers, Containers, CONTAINERS!

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 20:23:09 UTC 2017

Did my click bait work? :)

So, over the holiday break I had some time to hack on diskimage-builder and
create a new (container) element.  I opted to call it ubuntu-rootfs. The basic
idea, is the most minimal debootstrap chroot for ubuntu.  Everything in, we can
get a 42MB tarball of ubuntu-xenial.  In turn, with the tarball we can then
import into docker, lxc and do container things.

The stack is about 9 deep right now, and would love some feedback. I'm planning
on giving a talk in devconf.cz in a few weeks on this too. I hope to return with
some additional feedback on using DIB for building container things.

Side note, I also included the simple-playbook element, used for running
ansible-playbook with a chroot connection. As mentioned to people in the past,
this gives users an additional way to hand configuration management outside
elements.

I've been using it with great success recently to build a nodepool-builder
docker container.

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:ubuntu-container+status:open