[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Adding new deliverables

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:45:49 UTC 2017

I think total separation of projects would require much larger
discussion in community. Currently we agreed on having kolla-ansible
and kolla-k8s to be deliverables under kolla umbrella from historical
reasons. Also I don't agree that there is "little or no overlap" in
teams, in fact there is ton of overlap, just not 100%. Many
contributors (myself included) jump between deliverables today.

Having single Kolla umbrella has practical benefits which I would hate
to lose quite frankly. One of which would be that Kolla is being
evaluated by lot of different companies, and having full separation
between projects would make navigation of a landscape harder. Another
reason is single community which we value - there is no full
separation even between kolla-ansible and kolla-k8s (ansible still
generates config files for k8s for example), and further separation of
projects would hurt cooperation, and I don't think we've hit situation
when it's necessary. I'm not ready to have this discussion yet, and
I'm personally quite opposed to this.

If kolla-salt would like to be first completely separate project,
there is nothing we can (or want) to do to stop it, but I wouldn't
like to see this being pushed. Having special beast isn't great, and
moving kolla-ansible and kolla-k8s out of kolla umbrella is revolution
I don't want to rush. I'd rather figure out process to accept
kolla-salt (and following projects) to kolla umbrella and have this
discussion later, when we actually hit community scale issues.

Cheers,
Michal