[openstack-dev] [tripleo] quick reminder on review policy

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 15:29:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:57 AM, John Trowbridge <trown at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2017 07:30 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>> I've noticed some TripleO core reviewers self approving patch without
>> respecting our review policy, specially in tripleo-quickstart.
>>

> This is slightly misleading. To me, self-approving is +2/+A on your own
> patch.
>
> What has been going in tripleo-quickstart is different though. We have
> allowed cores to +A a patch from another core with only a single +2.
> That is against the policies laid out in tripleo-specs[1,2]. However,
> following those policies will effectively make it impossible for cores
> of tripleo-quickstart to get their own work merged in anything
> approaching a reasonable amount of time.
>
> This is because there are currently only 3 cores reviewing
> tripleo-quickstart with any regularity. So the policies below mean that
> any patch submitted by a core must be reviewed by every other core. I
> think it has actually been a full month since we even had all 3 cores
> working at the same time due to holidays and PTO (currently we only have 2).
>
> If we want to apply the policies below to quickstart, I get it... they
> are after all the agreed on policies. I think this puts moving CI to
> quickstart this cycle at a very high risk to complete though, which also
> means getting container CI is also at risk.

I'm "ok" with the current state, as long as we work together to
scale-out the number of contributors and reviewers in oooq.
If we want this project a reference to deploy TripleO in CI & dev
envs, we need more adoption & reviewers.

Probably we could organize some deep dive sessions, also do regular
meetings & send notes over ML. It will, I think, improve communication
and involvement from other TripleO folks.

> [1]
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-specs/specs/policy/expedited-approvals.html#single-2-approvals
> [2]
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-specs/specs/policy/expedited-approvals.html#self-approval