[openstack-dev] [keystone] documenting policy guidelines

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:48:36 UTC 2017

We had another healthy discussion about policy today [0] and most of it
revolved around documenting policy guidelines. The question of the day was
where should these guidelines live? To answer that we highlighted the
following criteria:

- Guidelines should be proposed and reviewed in small changes. We don't
want a single person doing all of the work, so a collaboration-friendly
approach to documenting guidelines would be awesome.
- They should be amendable so that we can make tweaks as we go.
- They should be discoverable such that new projects can use them to
implement policy checks right away, and exiting projects have a reference
to work towards.

 By the end of the meeting, it sounded like we had three options:

1.) Merge a cross-project specification that we can incrementally
contribute guidelines to.
2.) Make policy documentation a community-wide goal, approved by the TC
(possibly a project tag?).
3.) Convert the weekly policy meeting to a working group and document
guidelines using existing working group processes.

Various folks weighed in on each during the meeting, but we didn't reach a
conclusion. Which one should we pursue? Is there a better place for this
type of documentation that we didn't think of?

Thanks!

Lance

[0]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/policy/2017/policy.2017-01-04-16.00.log.html