[openstack-dev] [all][py3][swift][devstack] USE_PYTHON3 works! (well somewhat)

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue Jan 3 17:02:19 UTC 2017

On 2 Jan 2017, at 13:06, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Short Story :
> [1] has merged in devstack, it adds support for a python 3.5 based
> up/down devstack test that just starts services and brings them down.
> see [2] for a test run.
>
> Need help from swift folks:
> Swift still needs work i have gotten as far as [3] UnpicklingError on
> ring data using [4][5][6][7]. Can someone from the swift team pick
> this up?
> Once you get this working, please add "swift" to the white list in [8]
> and remove the disable_service for swift services in [9]

IIRC the issue is the differences between pickle, json, and arrays in py2 vs py3 (short summary: you can't deserialize in py3 stuff that was serialized in py2 without first changing the py2 code).

We're tracking this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/swift/+bug/1644387 and have a patch at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/401397/, but I can't guarantee that services will start as soon as that patch lands. (i.e. it's necessary, but might not be sufficient)

--John