[openstack-dev] [all] Adding CONTRIBUTING.rst files to projects

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Jan 3 16:26:28 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:04 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2017 04:01 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> > [...]
> > Doug, I think the include in Sphinx can be a raw txt file? Then we get
> > the best of both worlds - rendered on both docs.openstack.org
> > <http://docs.openstack.org> and github.com <http://github.com>.
>
> We do not need an rst file, github handles .txt just fine. I see no
> reason to move to txt.
>
> > I'll give that a shot with these patches as a proof of concept:
> >
> > 1. Change cookie-cutter file to CONTRIBUTING.txt
> > https://review.openstack.org/416109
> > 2. Update openstack-manuals rendered docs with an included
> > CONTRIBUTING.txt https://review.openstack.org/416112
> >
> > We won't really know the GitHub UI rendering of the include until
> > merged, but I've tested in other repos and changing the file extension
> > to .txt gives a link to that file.
>
> Works with RST as well for me - I just created a pull request for
> cookiecutter and got the contributing link as expected. There's no need
> to use txt files.

To wrap this up - I saw different behavior when simply clicking "New Pull
Request." The GitHub UI behaves differently for RST files in that
particular scenario, prior to the act of comparing branches. But it's not
worthwhile to pursue, and is probably simply a bug in GitHub's UI, so I've
abandoned the cookie-cutter patch.

Anne

> > Thoughts? Please comment on the reviews or here. I can work on it if we
> > think it's worthwhile to standardize upon, and/or collaborate with the
> > original contributor who wanted to standardize. I do believe the GitHub
> > experience is worthy of attention, similar in my mind to the recent
> > badges work.
>
> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com