[openstack-dev] [charms] ceilometer metering and event time-to-live defaults

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Jan 3 09:17:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 03 2017, James Page wrote:

Hi James,

> In the current ceilometer charms, we retain all ceilometer data
> indefinitely;  the TTL can be overridden by users using configuration
> options, but to me it feels like maybe retaining all data forever by
> default is a trip hazard to users, and the actions required to backout of a
> full DB for not that nice:
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/ceilometer/+bug/1652856
>
> Any thoughts? What TTL defaults do deployments (and other deployment tools)
> typically use for ceilometer data?

The default are set to no expiry because we felt like deleting data by
default is not a good choice. If there's a consensus that the default
should be something else, maybe that could be fixed directly upstream.

Now, I'd like to emphasize that this part of Ceilometer is officially
deprecated, so I hope not too much effort is put into this, and more in
the new projects that are now recommended (i.e. Gnocchi). :-)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker