[openstack-dev] [QA]Refactoring Scenarios manager.py

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:28:03 UTC 2017

I see Jordan's opinion here and I also faced this situation before.
I proposed a hacking patch [1] to notify wrong usage of Tempest
methods to projects and I saw some users of these methods didn't know
the definition of stable interfaces of Tempest.
We always face this issue on developments which change *internal*
methods of Tempest.

> Scenario tests will go through a significant number of changes as part of
> the refactor and if every change risks to break someone's gate job it won't
> work.
> I propose we proceed as follows:
> - identify projects that import from tempest.scenario
> - send a notification to the ML about the changes that are going to happen
> - help the affected teams to identify a way decouple them from tempest
> scenario code - most likely copy the relevant code in-tree
> - meanwhile continue to work on patches for scenario tests but do not merge
> them yet

Yeah, this approach is very nice to land patches softly.
Users can find solutions if facing this issue on the own gate.

> This process shouldn't take long and be rather straight forward.
>
> I already have some data from codesearch, I will send out the e-mail
> tomorrow.

++, thanks for your leadership.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi