[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Feb 27 18:26:48 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-27 09:35:21 -0800 (-0800), Clint Byrum wrote:
[...]
> do you believe that the single openstack-dev mailing list is
> working fine and we should change nothing? If not, what problems
> has it created for you?
[...]

Perhaps my case is unusual, but I find the current activity on this
ML to be working rather well for me. In particular the presence of
discussions from a variety of vertical teams (especially new ones)
here makes it more likely that I notice when they start to head off
the rails from established community norms. I don't filter it at all
and do try to skim all the threads unless my workload gets heavier
than expected.

A few "horizontal" teams already have examples of such secondary
mailing lists and I end up subscribing to all of them as well
(Infrastructure obviously, but also Documentation, I18n, Security,
Stable Branch Maintenance...). There used to be more but as time
goes on many have been folded back into the main -dev ML for better
alignment with community-wide discussion. The ones which haven't are
either used solely for automation (reports of failed changes, Cc'd
comments from specific bug tags, et cetera) or are have a high
enough volume of threads which aren't of general interest to the
-dev subscriber base (in Infra's case we field a lot of support
requests for non-OpenStack-specific software, for example).

So yes, "business" lists are in use and seem to be working
effectively in a few situations, but these tend to all be focused on
topics which fall outside of the scope of the main development
mailing list and even then their respective participants and
moderators struggle to figure out which discussions should go where.
--
Jeremy Stanley