[openstack-dev] [infra] merging code from a github repo to an openstack existing repo: how ?

Thomas Morin thomas.morin at orange.com
Wed Feb 22 15:31:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

A bit of context to make my question clearer:
openstack/networking-bagpipe relies on bagpipe-bgp which is not an
openstack project although done by the same people, and we would see a
significant benefit in moving the code from github to openstack. This
post does not relate to licence/CLA questions (all clear AFAIK, licence
is Apache, all contributions by people who are also Openstack
contributors). It does not relate to code style or lib dependencies
either (there are a few things to adapt, which we have identified and
mostly covered already).

The target would be: have the content of github's bagpipe-bgp repo
become a sub directory of the networking-bagpipe repo, and then tweak
setup.cfg/tox.ini so that this subdirectory becomes packaged and tested.

The question is:  how to achieve that without squashing/losing all git
history (and without pushing one gerrit change per existing commit in
the current history) ?

Would the following work...?
- in the github repo: prepare a 'move_to_openstack' branch  where all
repo content is moved in a 'bagpipe_bgp' subdir
- in networking-bagpipe repo:
    * create a 'welcome_bagpipe_bgp' branch
    * have a manual step where someone (infra team ?) adds the github
repo as a remote and merges the remote 'move_to_openstack' branch into
the 'welcome_bagpipe_bgp' local branch (without squashing).
    * in this 'welcome_bagpipe_bgp' branch do whatever is needed in
terms of setup.cfg/requirements.txt/tox.ini ...
    * when everything is ready, merge the 'welcome_bagpipe_bgp' branch
into master
- (in the gitub repo: replace the content with an explanation message)

(If the above does not work, what other possibility ?)

-Thomas

[1]  https://github.com/Orange-OpenSource/bagpipe-bgp