[openstack-dev] [ironic] New mascot design

Jay Faulkner jay at jvf.cc
Tue Feb 21 18:24:26 UTC 2017

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 5:25 PM, Heidi Joy Tretheway <heidijoy at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ironic team,
>
> [TL;DR - we agree to Miles’ proposal for two images (one mascot, one logo) for different contexts. We’re looking for any final feedback on the stylized logo for use on the website, while the PixieBoots mascot remains yours for swag, etc.]
>
> I’m doing my best to reply to all questions on this thread as Lucas requested: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-February/112212.html.
> Please feel free to drop a note here if I’ve missed anything. I’m summarizing everything below:
>
> Design issues:
> —The bear looked angry in v1
> Answer: We removed the angry expression and replaced it with a neutral expression
> —The metal horns hand gesture is culturally inappropriate (rude in some countries) (from Ruby)
> Answer: We removed this feature and replaced it, based on the team’s input, with the bear holding sticks (as drumsticks)
> —What about a goat-like horned bear? (Joanna)
> Answer: We removed horned references due to the cultural reference to cuckolding as the Ironic team pointed out
> —The bear looks too much like a Russian meme with two hands up
> Answer: We have a face-forward bear, not a side-view bear, and only one hand raised.
> —The bear’s face decoration looked too much like the band Kiss
> Answer: While this was intentional by the designer (for a more “metal” look), we removed this feature and replaced it with basic bear face coloring. Some folks (including Miles, Dmitry, Sam who added +1s) would like this back in. We’re happy to do it, we just need the team to agree on one direction.
> —Don’t like the style (reminds Lucas of church windows)
> Answer: The design style for all of the mascots is set. It was shared in July when we started this project, and unfortunately the feedback window regarding design style has passed, as 95% of projects have now received their logos.
> —Request to abbreviate the bear so it just shows head/top of torso/hand holding drumsticks (from Dmitry)
> Answer: We can revisit that with the designers, however it doesn’t match the rest of the logo set, which is either face or full body of each mascot. We’re happy to try this, but as we’ve already been four rounds with the team, I’m soliciting ANY final feedback on this version before we finalize it.
> <OpenStack_Project_Ironic_mascot.jpg>

I have a question about the drumsticks — I noticed today at the PTG, that the cloud kitty mascot has a collar and license — that seems like a minimal manmade addition to that logo, similar to what actual drumsticks would be with an Ironic mascot. Is it completely out of the question to revisit adding those back to the logo? As this debate has shown, it’s difficult to transmit the idea of a “metal” bear without some kind of musical tool/instrument involved.

Thanks,
Jay Faulkner