[openstack-dev] [nova] Device tagging: rebuild config drive upon instance reboot to refresh metadata on it

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 17:22:50 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:07:53PM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:
> Is there cloud-init support for this mode or do we still need to mount
> as a config drive?

I don't think it particularly makes sense to expose the config drive
via NVDIMM - it wouldn't solve any of the problems that config drive
has today and it'd be less portable wrt guest OS.

Rather I was suggesting we should consider NVDIMM as a transport for
the role device tagging metadata standalone, as that could provide us
a way to live-update the metadata on the fly, which is impractical /
impossible when the metadata is hidden inside the config drive.

But before doing that though, I think it'd be worth understanding whether
metadata-over-vsock support would be acceptable to people who refuse
to deploy metadata-over-TCPIP today.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|