[openstack-dev] [chef] Making the Kitchen Great Again: A Retrospective on OpenStack & Chef

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 17 10:47:04 UTC 2017

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2017, at 10:07 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
>> When we signed off on the Big Tent changes we said competition
>> between projects was desirable, and that deployers and contributors
>> would make choices based on the work being done in those competing
>> projects. Basically, the market would decide on the "optimal"
>> solution. It's a hard message to hear, but that seems to be what
>> is happening.
>
> This.
>
> We got much better at adding new things to OpenStack. We need to get better at letting go of old things.

Yes.

With the model we've built, it's difficult to move some project teams
from "official" to "unofficial": as long as there is the remnants of a
team working on a project, and this team is clearly made of OpenStack
community members following our principles, our governance model does
not leave many walls you can lean on.

But there is one: does the project help with the OpenStack mission, or
does it hurt it ? Some projects do fall below the level of
maintenance/contribution necessary to present a satisfying experience,
and keeping those in our blessed, official "mix" hurts us more than it
helps us. Some other projects make us appear as (badly) trying to
compete with successful other ecosystems, while we should just co-opt
those ecosystems -- this also hurts us more than it helps us in
achieving the OpenStack mission.

It will be difficult discussions, but at this precise stage in OpenStack
life we need to have them. Come talk to me next week if interested.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)