[openstack-dev] Subject: [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Feb 16 16:58:17 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

This week we talked quite a bit about what the API-WG will be trying to do next week at the PTG. We'll be sharing time and space with the Architecture working group, with rooms on both Monday and Tuesday of the cross-project period of the week. Topics are being planned on an etherpad [0], with some discussion there on which day will have which topics. This is going to be difficult to manage the day of as there will be lots of overlap of topics for interested parties. We'll try to provide information in the room as things happen and also make regular announcements to the #openstack-ptg IRC channel.

The other primary topic was the ongoing discussion surrounding the API compatibility and stability guideline [4]. We're nearly there, with mostly details to work out. There was agreement that the guideline, with its assertion that versioning is a requirement for the new stability tag will set a high bar for projects and this is OK.

One reminder: Projects should make sure that their liaison information is up to date at http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/liaisons.html . If not, please provide a patch to doc/source/liaisons.json to update it.

Because of the PTG there will be no API-WG meeting next week. We'll resume on March 2nd.

# Newly Published Guidelines

* Add guidelines for boolean names
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411529/

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community. Nothing at the moment, but feel free to get in early on the reviews below.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Define pagination guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

* Refactor and re-validate api change guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421846/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!