[openstack-dev] [chef] Making the Kitchen Great Again: A Retrospective on OpenStack & Chef

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 16:20:45 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date: February 16, 2017 at 10:13:51
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [chef] Making the Kitchen Great Again: A
Retrospective on OpenStack & Chef

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 10:07 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> > When we signed off on the Big Tent changes we said competition
> > between projects was desirable, and that deployers and contributors
> > would make choices based on the work being done in those competing
> > projects. Basically, the market would decide on the "optimal"
> > solution. It's a hard message to hear, but that seems to be what
> > is happening.
>
> This.
>
> We got much better at adding new things to OpenStack. We need to get better at letting go
> of old things.

I agree with the idea of making it easier for new contributors from
outside our walled garden of paid contributors. I won't further derail
this thread with my opinions of how corporations will begin to exploit
that and invest less directly in OpenStack's development though.

--
Ian Cordasco