[openstack-dev] The end of OpenStack packages in Debian?

Ben Finney bignose at debian.org
Wed Feb 15 21:43:23 UTC 2017

Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> writes:

> All this to say that, unless someone wants to hire me for it (which
> would be the best outcome, but I fear this wont happen), or if someone
> steps in (this seems unlikely at this point), both the packaging-deb
> and the faith of OpenStack packages in Debian are currently
> compromised.

Thanks for your work, Thomas, and yes I hope someone hires you and other
skilled maintainers to continue OpenStack in Debian.

Nadia Eghbal's work documenting the state of critical infrastructure
<URL:https://medium.com/@nayafia/how-i-stumbled-upon-the-internet-s-biggest-blind-spot-b9aa23618c58#.str97fkhj>
has led her to create a guide for seeking funding for crucial
free-software infrastructure
<URL:https://github.com/nayafia/lemonade-stand>.

For those parties who are profiting from OpenStack, or any other
free-software project, you need to read “Roads and Bridges”
<URL:http://www.fordfoundation.org/library/reports-and-studies/roads-and-bridges-the-unseen-labor-behind-our-digital-infrastructure>
and *fund* the maintenance of this infrastructure.

Stories like Thomas's should gavlanise you to put sustained funding in
for the projects that provide your own lifeblood. Step up, join with
others, and make this right.

--
 \       “Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in |
  `\     behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.” —Ambrose |