[openstack-dev] [chef] Making the Kitchen Great Again: A Retrospective on OpenStack & Chef

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Feb 15 10:07:54 UTC 2017

Samuel Cassiba wrote:
> [...]
> *TL;DR* if you don't want to keep going -
> OpenStack-Chef is not in a good place and is not sustainable.
> [...]

Thanks for sharing, Sam.

I think that part of the reasons for the situation is that we grew the
number of options for deploying OpenStack. We originally only had Puppet
and Chef, but now there is Ansible, Juju, and the various
Kolla-consuming container-oriented approaches. There is a gravitational
attraction effect at play (more users -> more contributors) which
currently benefits Puppet, Ansible and Kolla, to the expense of
less-popular community-driven efforts like OpenStackChef and
OpenStackSalt. I expect this effect to continue. I have mixed feelings
about it: on one hand it reduces available technical options, but on the
other it allows to focus and raise quality...

There is one question I wanted to ask you in terms of community. We
maintain in OpenStack a number of efforts that bridge two communities,
and where the project could set up its infrastructure / governance in
one or the other. In the case of OpenStackChef, you could have set up
shop on the Chef community side, rather than on the OpenStack community
side. Would you say that living on the OpenStack community side helped
you or hurt you ? Did you get enough help / visibility to balance the
constraints ? Do you think you would have been more, less or equally
successful if you had set up shop more on the Chef community side ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)