[openstack-dev] [tc][glance][glare][all] glance/glare/artifacts/images at the PTG

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Feb 13 18:07:11 UTC 2017

On 02/13/2017 07:47 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> [...]

Yah- whatever we do with the services as long as the thing moving
forward implements the image-import spec, we'll be good. That took WAY
too long with input from WAY too many people to have all of the corner
cases it covers not be covered. (Rackspace upload-to-swift case needs to
be supported, small cloud without swift needs to be covered, and users
need to not get screwed in the process - the spec is the result of a ton
of really good and really important conversations)

Which is my way of saying that I do not believe we can have these
services _not_ have a data plane component at this point - but we have a
design in flight that is as good a compromise as we're likely to get at
this point.

> That said, I'm convinced neither Glare nor Glance have learned the
> scaling issues from the current designs. At best, the last I looked,
> Glare has learned not to inherit Glance's caching design which has
> been frequently (and *rightfully*) criticized for the effect on
> network usage. Beyond that, Glare adds artificial constraints (which
> are subpar for their design) that I suspect will only frustrate people
> looking for a more generic artifact storage solution.
>
> I'm certain, however, that none of this will be discussed at the PTG
> because these tend to be glossed over (and I won't be there to push on
> these pain points).

I'll be there, and will do my best to push on them in your absence.