[openstack-dev] [designate] Status of the project

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Fri Feb 10 15:57:56 UTC 2017

On 10/02/17 15:48, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>>> resourced
>>> teams who can dedicate people to the implementation of plugins / code.
>>>
>>> As someone I was talking to recently said - AWS is not winning public cloud
>>> because of commodity compute (that does help - a lot), but because of the
>>> added services that make using the cloud, well, cloud like. OpenStack
>>> needs to
>>> decide that either it is just compute, or if it wants the eco-system. [5]_
>>> Designate is far from alone in this.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Graham, thank you for the heartfelt post. I may not agree with all your
>> points, but I know you're coming from the right place and truly want to
>> see Designate (and OpenStack in general) succeed.
>>
>> Your point about smaller projects finding it more difficult to "consume"
>> help from cross-project teams is an interesting one. When the big tent
>> was being discussed, I remember the TC specifically discussing a change
>> for cross-project team focus: moving from a "we do this work for you"
>> role to a "we help you do this work for yourself" role. You're correct
>> that the increase in OpenStack projects meant that the cross-project
>> teams simply would not be able to continue to be a service to other
>> teams. This was definitely predicted during the big tent discussions.
>>
>> If I had one piece of advice to give Designate, it would be to
>> prioritize getting documentation (both installation as well as dev-ref
>> and operational docs) in good shape. I know writing docs sucks, but docs
>> are a springboard for users and contributors alike and can have a
>> multiplying effect that's difficult to overstate. Getting those install
>> and developer docs started would enable the cross-project docs team to
>> guide Designate contributors in enhancing and cleaning up the docs and
>> putting some polish on 'em. Your idea above that maybe some users
>> already wrote some docs is a good one. Maybe reach out personally to
>> those telcos and see if they can dig something up that can be the basis
>> for upstream docs.
>>
>> Best,
>> -jay
>>

> Thank you for bringing this into the open, Graham.
>
> I think we have several projects that would benefit by transitioning
> from relying solely on vendor contributions to building up the
> deployer/user contributor base. That's a relatively new approach
> for some parts of the OpenStack community, but it's common elsewhere
> in open source projects. The shift is likely to mean some changes
> in the way we organize ourselves, because it may not be reasonable
> to assume user-contributors have large amounts of time to focus on
> long review cycles, traveling to sprints, or the other intensive
> activities that are part of our current routine. (That's not to say
> the Designate team has introduced any of those issues, of course.
> We need to be thinking about removing obstacles for contributors

Yes - definitely. We try to be good about review cycles (with the amount
we get, it is not that difficult for us to be good about bug triage, and
review triage), but I agree - how we work does make things difficult
for user contributors to become key contributors to a project.

Even for people who want to contribute as a hobby, the time and level
of funding required is quite high.

Thanks,

Graham