[openstack-dev] [All] IRC Mishaps

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Feb 9 15:25:06 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-09 10:10:28 +1100 (+1100), Michael Still wrote:
> At a previous employer we had a policy that all passwords started
> with "/" because of the sheer number of times someone typed the
> root password into a public IRC channel.
[...]

I can't even keep count of the number of times I and others on the
Infra team get requests to redact passwords or similar sensitive
information from our published IRC logs. Across a community the size
of ours it's a pretty frequent occurrence (and of course we have to
remind them that there's not a lot of point since we can't scrub
anything from everyone's personal channel buffers/logs anyway).
--
Jeremy Stanley