[openstack-dev] [oslo] pbr and warnerrors status

Jay Faulkner jay at jvf.cc
Wed Feb 8 16:22:25 UTC 2017

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 8:15 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:
>

> On 02/08/2017 09:41 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2017-02-08 09:20:31 -0600:

>>> Great, thanks everybody!
>>>

>> It would be useful for someone to look at the pbr change and verify that
>> releasing it as-is won't break the builds for a bunch of projects by
>> turning the flag back on. If it will, we're going to want to provide a
>> way to stage the roll out. If we change the name of the flag, for
>> example, we could release pbr for support for checking warnings, and
>> then projects could enable that when they have time and with the fixes
>> to the docs needed to make it work properly.
>
> I think the only way to do this would be to run a docs build in every project with warnerrors turned on, using the unreleased pbr.  Given the amount of time it's been broken, there's a good chance some issues have snuck in (they had in diskimage-builder).  So maybe deprecating the old option name and requiring another explicit opt-in from everyone is the safest way to go.
>
> Thoughts on a new name?  fatalwarnings maybe?

IMO, I’d suggest skipping this and just fixing the broken attribute. Projects that are impacted by the change simply need to merge a one-line change to set warnerrors=false. FWIW, you can actually run a local docs build, find and resolve warnings without the PBR change. It seems overkill to me to change the term since doing so will be super confusing to anyone who hasn’t read this mailing list thread.

If there’s a significant enough concern, a change could be pushed to set warnerrors=false on the projects that are concerned before this release is made.

-
Jay Faulkner
OSIC