[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:09:58 UTC 2017

>> > There have been lots of different opinions and perspective on this
>> > (in the reviews and elsewhere), all of which are pretty sensible but
>> > as a mass are hard to reconcile. The below is reporting evidence, not
>> > supporting a plan:
>> >
>> >   The API-WG is striving for OpenStack APIs to be consistent within
>> >   themselves, with each other and with the HTTP RFCs. This particular
>> >   issue is an example where none of those are satisfied.
>> >
>> >     Yet it is true that if client code is specifically looking for a
>> >     200 response this change, without a version signal, will break
>> >     that code.
>> >
>> >       But glance isn't set up with microversions or something like.
>> >
>> >       But isn't checking specifically for 200 as "success" unusual so
>> >       this is unlikely to be as bad as changing a 4xx to some other
>> >       4xx.
>> >
>> >       But correcting the docs so they indicate this one request out of
>> >       several in a group breaks the 204 pattern set by the rest of
>> >       the group and could easily be perceived as a typo and thus need
>> >       to be annotated as "special".
>> >
>> > How do we reconcile that?
>>
>> This API has been implemented since 2 years ago, and it is easy to
>> imagine many users are using the API.
>> If changing success status code like this, we send a message "status
>> code could be changed anytime" to users and users would recognize "the
>> success status code is unstable and it is better to check status code
>> range(20X) instead of a certain code(200, 201, etc) for long-term
>> maintenance".
>

> I think we should be pragmatic. There's a a difference between changing one
> return code from 200->204 (still in the 2XX range), for one endpoint
> exceptionally and saying "we keep changing status code, OpenStack is not
> stable".
>
> Microversions are great, but not all projects support them yet. In the mean
> time, if a project properly documents through a release note a minor API
> change (like this one), that sounds reasonable. Sure some user code will
> break, at upgrade, but let's be realistic here things get broken after a
> major upgrade of every software, that's why operators/deployers test the
> upgrades beforehand.

On the above scenario, I feel we need to distinguish users between
operators and API consumers.
It is true that operators tend to face upgrade issues many times and
they are testing on each upgrade.
They can see the corresponding release note because they upgrade the
cloud by themselves.
However, API consumers don't read release notes because they don't
maintain the used clouds, they just use clouds.
In addition, API consumers should be able to switch OpenStack clouds on-demand.
It is better that clouds do the same behaviors for the
interoperability even if the destination cloud is older version.

>> If the above is we expect/hope, why should we fix/change success code
>> to ideal one?
>> On the above scenario, we are expecting users should not check a certain
>> code.
>> So even if changing status code, users would not be affected by the
>> change.
>> Whom we are changing the status code for?
>

> That's a good question. In that case we should do it "for us, the
> developers". I prefer to work with a sane code base, sane API, small
> technical debt. But I also understand the users are paying us for stability.

Yeah, I can see the motivation as a developer.
However, I cannot be confident to say the impact of the change is
small for users.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi

---