[openstack-dev] [Congress][olso][oslo.messaging] Dynamically Determine Rabbit Transport URL?

Aimee Ukasick aimeeu.opensource at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:09:55 UTC 2017

Thanks, Clint, for your quick response. Questions inline.
On 02/06/2017 01:32 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Aimee Ukasick's message of 2017-02-06 12:57:28 -0600:
>> Hi everyone - from the Congress standalone installation guide
>> (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/congress/README.html#installing-congress):
>>
>> ---
>> To use RabbitMQ with Congress, set the transport_url in the “From
>> oslo.messaging” section according to your setup:
>> transport_url = rabbit://$RABBIT_USERID:$RABBIT_PASSWORD@$RABBIT_HOST:5672
>> ---
>>
>> Is there a CLI or API call to determine the Rabbit userID, password,
>> host, and port from a running OpenStack installation? My colleague and I
>> are working on standalone Congress installation scripts (bash), and we
>> are trying to figure how to dynamically determine the RABBIT_USERID,
>> RABBIT_PASSWORD, RABBIT_HOST, and port.  We really don't want to resort
>> to pulling the transport URL out of another service's conf file
>> (nova.conf, heat.conf, keystone.conf, etc).
>>
>> There is a rabbitmqctl
>> https://www.rabbitmq.com/man/rabbitmqctl.1.man.html  but that doesn't
>> have the commands for finding userID, password, host, and port.

> Those conf files get it from the same place you should: Config
> management. You need to inject it into your bash however you inject
> details of the environment into anything else.

I'm relatively new to OpenStack, so please pardon my ignorance. What do
you mean by config management? We don't have any details about how
OpenStack has been installed - it may have been installed by an OPNFV
Installer, an OpenStack installer, or some other way. We are looking for
an installer-agnostic means of determining: 1) where Rabbit is installed
and running as a service (rabbit_host); and 2) how to obtain the rabbit
UserID and password so we can configure the transport_url.

Also, my colleague and I can't assume that Congress or Tacker or another
OpenStack service is going to be installed on the Controller node. What
if we are installing the OpenStack service in a Docker container that's
not on the Controller? We aren't OpenStack experts, so any guidance is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.