[openstack-dev] [ironic] New mascot design

Miles Gould mgould at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 11:49:56 UTC 2017

On 01/02/17 21:38, Lucas Alvares Gomes wrote:
> But, let me ask something, what the foundation really wants to achieve
> with this ? Cause I think we are conflating two things here: A logo (or
> brand) and a mascot.

I think this is an excellent point. The constraints on logos make a lot
of sense *for logos*, but it'll be very hard to achieve something like
Pixie Boots within them. Could we perhaps use *two* images for different
contexts?

1) a stylized logo, matching the guidelines, for use in "official"
settings and anywhere that it will be seen alongside other projects' logos;
2) our existing Pixie Boots mascot, for use in "unofficial" settings
(laptop stickers, T-shirts, chatbots, The Bear Metal Adventures of Pixie
Boots webcomic series*, etc, etc).

It'll be much easier to agree on image 1 if we don't reject every
proposal for not capturing every nuance of image 2.

If that makes sense, I have a suggestion for the next iteration of the
logo, if one is needed: take the head from logo version 3.0. AFAICT,
that meets all the objections raised so far:

  - it's simple and logo-like,
  - it's not holding any man-made objects,
  - it's friendly,
  - it has heavy-metal facial markings,
  - it's not making any potentially-obscene gestures.

It doesn't look exactly like Pixie Boots, but if we can carry on using
Pixie in unofficial contexts, that shouldn't be a problem.

Miles

* In which Pixie Boots, sysadmin by day and rock musician by night,
solves a series of increasingly baffling deployment problems using
AWESOME DRUM SOLOS.