[openstack-dev] [infra] [gate] [all] openstack services footprint lead to oom-kill in the gate

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:09:56 UTC 2017

On 2/2/2017 4:01 PM, Sean Dague wrote:

> The only services that are running on Apache in standard gate jobs are
> keystone and the placement api. Everything else is still the
> oslo.service stack (which is basically run eventlet as a preforking
> static worker count webserver).
>
> The ways in which OpenStack and oslo.service uses eventlet are known to
> have scaling bottle necks. The Keystone team saw substantial throughput
> gains going over to apache hosting.
>
> 	-Sean

FWIW, coincidentally the nova team is going to work on running nova-api
under apache in some select jobs in Pike because it turns out that
TripleO was running that configuration in Newton which is considered
experimental in nova (we don't do some things when running in that mode
which are actually pretty critical to how the code functions for
upgrades). So if Apache/eventlet is related, maybe we'll see some
differences after making that change.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if Nova is creating more versioned
objects which reference other full versioned objects (rather than just
an id reference) and maybe some of those are hanging around longer than
they should be.

Matt Riedemann