[openstack-dev] [oslo][oslo.db] MySQL Cluster support

Octave J. Orgeron octave.orgeron at oracle.com
Thu Feb 2 21:50:05 UTC 2017

Hi Doug,

Comments below..

Thanks,
Octave

On 2/2/2017 12:52 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 02/02/2017 02:16 PM, Octave J. Orgeron wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Comments below..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Octave
>>
>> On 2/2/2017 11:27 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> It sounds like part of the plan is to use the configuration setting
>>> to control how the migration scripts create tables. How will that
>>> work? Does each migration need custom logic, or can we build helpers
>>> into oslo.db somehow? Or will the option be passed to the database
>>> to change its behavior transparently?
>>
>> These are good questions. For each service, when the db sync or db
>> manage operation is done it will call into SQL Alchemy or Alembic
>> depending on the methods used by the given service. For example, most
>> use SQL Alchemy, but there are services like Ironic and Neutron that use
>> Alembic. It is within these scripts under the <service>/db/* hierarchy
>> that the logic exist today to configure the database schema for any
>> given service. Both approaches will look at the schema version in the
>> database to determine where to start the create, upgrade, heal, etc.
>> operations. What my patches do is that in the scripts where a table
>> needs to be modified, there will be custom IF/THEN logic to check the
>> cfg.CONF.database.mysql_storage_engine setting to make the required
>> modifications. There are also use cases where the api.py or model(s).py
>> under the <service>/db/ hierarchy needs to look at this setting as well
>> for API and CLI operations where mysql_engine is auto-inserted into DB
>> operations. In those use cases, I replace the hard coded "InnoDB" with
>> the mysql_storage_engine variable.
>
> can you please clarify "replace the hard coded "InnoDB" " ?    Are you
> proposing to send reviews for patches against all occurrences of
> "InnoDB" in files like
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/216_havana.py
> ?    The "InnoDB" keyword is hardcoded in hundreds of migration files
> across all openstack projects that use MySQL.   Are all of these going
> to be patched with some kind of conditional?

Yes, that is the plan to patch each of the scripts that has these and
any other issues that need to be addressed.

>> It would be interesting if we could develop some helpers to automate
>> this, but it would probably have to be at the SQL Alchemy or Alembic
>> levels.
>
> not really, you can build a hook that intercepts operations like
> CreateTable, or that intercepts SQL as it is emitted over a
> connection, in order to modify these values on the fly.  But that is a
> specific kind of approach with it's own set of surprises.
> Alternatively you can make an alternate SQLAlchemy dialect that no
> longer recognizes "mysql_*" as the prefix for these arguments. There's
> ways to do this part.
>
> But more critically I noticed you referred to altering the names of
> columns to suit NDB.  How will this be accomplished?   Changing a
> column name in an openstack application is no longer trivial, because
> online upgrades must be supported for applications like Nova and
> Neutron.  A column name can't just change to a new name, both columns
> have to exist and logic must be added to keep these columns synchronized.

Putting the hooks into SQL Alchemy dialect would only solve things like
the mysql_engine=,  savepoints,  and nested operations. It won't solve
for the row length issues or be able to determine which ones to target
since we don't have some method of specifying the potential lengths of
contents. We also have to consider that Alembic doesn't have the same
capabilities as SQL Alchemy, so if we invest in making enhancements
there we still have Neutron and Ironic that wouldn't be able to benefit.
I think being consistent is important as well here.

The patches don't change the names of columns, they only change the size
or type. There is only a single occurrence that I've seen where a column
name causes problems because it's using a reserved name in the SQL. I
have a patch for that issue, which I believe is in Heat if I remember
correctly.

> Unfortunately, throughout all of the OpenStack services today we
>> are hard coding things like mysql_engine, using InnoDB specific features
>> (savepoints, nested operations, etc.), and not following the strict SQL
>> orders for modifying table elements (foreign keys, constraints, and
>
> Savepoints aren't InnoDB specific, they are a standard SQL feature and
> also their use is not widespread right now.   I'm not sure what you
> mean by "the strict SQL orders", we use ALTER TABLE as is standard in
> MySQL for this and it's behind an abstraction layer that supports
> other databases such as Postgresql.

Savepoints are not implemented yet in MySQL Cluster, but it's on the
roadmap. As for the SQL ordering, what I'm talking about is the way some
services will drop or modify foreign keys, constraints, or indexes in
the wrong operation order. These have to be unfurled in the correct
order and put back in the right order.  InnoDB does not enforce this,
but NDB does. So this isn't about doing an ALTER TABLE on a column. Some
services like Keystone don't suffer from these problems as they are more
careful about operation orders. Other services like Glance ignore the
operation ordering and that's where more work is required to fix things.

>>   * Many of the SQL Alchemy and Alembic scripts only import the minimal
>>     set of python modules. If we imported others, we would also have to
>>     initialize those name spaces which means a lot more code :(
>
> I'm not sure what this means, can you clarify ?

When the scripts run, they don't import the whole namespace for a given
service. Most of them will just import the modules for the SQL Alchemy
or Alembic namespaces with the cfg.CONF.database.* from oslo.*. If we
wanted to inject the setting elsewhere, like within the service
namespace, we have to import those modules and initialize the full
namespace. This means considerably more lines of code and context issues
to resolve. Instead, by using oslo.db under the cfg.CONF.database, which
already gets imported for SQL Alchemy and Alembic operations, we can
quickly check for mysql_storage_engine.

Does that make it clear?

>    * Reduces the amount of overhead required to make these changes.
>
> What sort of "overhead", do you mean code complexity, performance ?

The overhead would be importing another module from the service and
initializing the namespace for each SQL Alchemy or Alembic script.
Again, I don't want to re-architect the way those processes work today
as that would be a major undertaking. By using the same methods they use
today to get to the cfg.CONF.database namespace, I cut down on the
coding overhead and the performance overhead of multiple scripts
importing modules and initializing namespaces. It would increase the
amount of reads against the *.conf files and all of the modules required.