[openstack-dev] [infra] [gate] [all] openstack services footprint lead to oom-kill in the gate

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:44:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> This is one of the reasons to get the wsgi stack off of eventlet and
> into a real webserver, as they handle HTTP request backups much much
> better.

To some extent I think this is generally true for *many* common workloads,
but the specifics depend *a lot* on the application under the webserver
that's servicing those requests.

I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind, and may be mistaken to assume
this is a reference to Apache/mod_wsgi?  If that's the case, depending on
how you configure it - aren't you still going to end up with an instance of
the wsgi application per worker-process and have the same front of line
queueing issue unless you increase workers?  Maybe if the application is
thread-safe you can use os thread workers - and preemptive interruption for
the GIL is more attractive for the application than eventlet's cooperative
interruption.  Either-way, it's not obvious that has a big impact on the
memory footprint issue (assume the issue is memory growth in the
application and not specifically eventlet.wsgi.server).  But you may have
more relevant experience than I do - happy to be enlightened!

Thanks,

-Clay