[openstack-dev] [infra] [gate] [all] openstack services footprint lead to oom-kill in the gate

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:49:53 UTC 2017

On 2 February 2017 at 08:40, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 02/02/2017 11:16 AM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> <snip>
> > <oops, forgot to finish my though>
> >
> > We definitely aren't saying running a single worker is how we recommend
> people
> > run OpenStack by doing this. But it just adds on to the differences
> between the
> > gate and what we expect things actually look like.
>
> I'm all for actually getting to the bottom of this, but honestly real
> memory profiling is needed here. The growth across projects probably
> means that some common libraries are some part of this. The ever growing
> requirements list is demonstrative of that. Code reuse is good, but if
> we are importing much of a library to get access to a couple of
> functions, we're going to take a bunch of memory weight on that
> (especially if that library has friendly auto imports in top level
> __init__.py so we can't get only the parts we want).
>
> Changing the worker count is just shuffling around deck chairs.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with memory profiling tools in python to know
> the right approach we should take there to get this down to individual
> libraries / objects that are containing all our memory. Anyone more
> skilled here able to help lead the way?
>

>From what I hear, the overall consensus on this matter is to determine what
actually caused the memory consumption bump and how to address it, but
that's more of a medium to long term action. In fact, to me this is one of
the top priority matters we should talk about at the imminent PTG.

For the time being, and to provide relief to the gate, should we want to
lock the API_WORKERS to 1? I'll post something for review and see how many
people shoot it down :)

Thanks for your feedback!
Cheers,
Armando