[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer][postgresql][gate][telemetry] PostgreSQL gate failure (again)

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Feb 2 16:42:38 UTC 2017

On 02/02/2017 10:33 AM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 02/01/2017 10:22 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>
>> I personally continue to be of the opinion that without an explicit
>> vocal and well-staffed champion, supporting postgres is more trouble
>> than it is worth. The vast majority of OpenStack deployments are on
>> MySQL - and what's more, the code is written with MySQL in mind.
>> Postgres and MySQL have different trade offs, different things each are
>> good at and different places in which each has weakness. By attempting
>> to support Postgres AND MySQL, we prevent ourselves from focusing
>> adequate attention on making sure that our support for one of them is
>> top-notch and in keeping with best practices for that database.
>>
>> So let me state my opinion slightly differently. I think we should
>> support one and only one RDBMS backend for OpenStack, and we should open
>> ourselves up to use advanced techniques for that backend. I don't
>> actually care whether that DB is MySQL or Postgres - but the corpus of
>> existing deployments on MySQL and the existing gate jobs I think make
>> the choice one way or the other simple.
>

> well, let me blow your mind and agree, but noting that this means, *we
> drop SQLite also*.   IMO every openstack developer should have
> MySQL/MariaDB running on their machine and that is part of what runs if
> you expect to run database-related unit tests.   Targeting just one
> database is very handy but if you really want to use the features
> without roadblocks, you need to go all the way.

That's all fine and good, we just need to rewrite about 100,000 unit
tests to do that. I'm totally cool with someone taking that task on, but
making a decision about postgresql shouldn't be filibustered on
rewriting all the unit tests in OpenStack because of the ways we use sqlite.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net