[openstack-dev] Regarding inter-VM inter process communication in OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 11:32:03 UTC 2017

On 12/24/2017 12:56 AM, Darshan Tank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working on inter-virtual machine inter process communication
> (IPC) methods.
>
> I would like to know whether current OpenStack framework supports
> inter-VM shared memory concept or not ?

No. OpenStack (or at least, the components you are referring to here --
Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Glance and Keystone) is a virtual machine and
baremetal server *management* platform. These components do not get
involved in the workloads running within the virtual or baremetal machines.

> If not, then what are the mechanisms for inter-VM inter process
> communication in OpenStack?

There is no specific IPC mechanism used in OpenStack because OpenStack
isn't at that level of the stack.

If you are looking for true IPC (on a single host between multiple
*operating system* processes, you probably want to look at doing
something with Linux containers which can share IPC Linux namespaces.

If you are looking for VMWare DRS-like functionality, you should look at
a VMWare-specific solution. But AFAIK, that really isn't IPC in the
sense of sharing operating system process memory. I think DRS is more
about duplicating writes (to disk/memory) so that (potentially hot)
standby virtual machines can take over if a failure occurs on another.

VMWare experts should correct me if I'm wrong here.

A more traditional way of doing "IPC" in the virtual machine (and
multiple host) world is to just set up a communication tunnel over some
transport mechanism (TCP/UDP/whatever) and send two-way communication
over this tunnel to keep the two sides' state in sync.

Best,
-jay