[openstack-dev] [all] propose to upgrade python kubernetes (the k8s python client) to 4.0.0

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Sun Dec 17 22:03:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:16:29PM +1300, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> hi, leyal,
>
> I suppose the upgrade is backward compatible, right?

By, semantic versioning, defintion 1.y.z is NOT compatible with 4.y.z.
That's what a major bump means.  And in this case we're doing 3 major
bumps.  The only question is "will the incompatibilities affect
OpenStack?'

I suggest we handle this the same way we do for other potentially
breakign chnages.

1. Create an openstack/requirements review to bump kubernetes in
   upper-constratins.txt
2. Creatre an openstack/requirements review to bump the minimum
   acceptable version in global-requirements.
3. Run a no-op Testing only change in all comumping projects that
   'Depends-On' the chnage from 1 preferably with a unique topic
4. Once testing from step 3 validates that it's a non-breaking change
   merge the chnage from 1.
5. After some time, typically 5 days, merge the chnage from 2.

If we discover an issue after that we'll deal with it as well as
possible but we did our best to verify that it shouldn't happen.

Yours Tony.