[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Removing old baremetal commands from python-tripleoclient

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Dec 15 12:04:52 UTC 2017

On 12/15/2017 04:49 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hi All,
>      In review I01837a9daf6f119292b5a2ffc361506925423f11 I updated
> ValidateInstackEnv to handle the case when then instackenv.json file
> needs to represent a node that deosn't require a pm_user for IMPI to
> work.
>
> It turns out that I foudn that code path with grep rather than the
> result of a deploy step failing.  That's becuase it's only used for a
> command that isn't used anymore, and the validation logic has been moved
> to a mistral action.
>
> That lead me to look at which of the commands in that file aren't needed
> anymore.  If my analysis is correct we have the collowing commands:
>
> openstack baremetal instackenv validate:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ValidateInstackEnv
>      NOT Deprecated

See below, it can be fixed. But I'd really prefer us to roll it into something
like "openstack overcloud node import --validate-only".

> openstack baremetal import:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ImportBaremetal
>      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>      New command: openstack overcloud node import
> openstack baremetal introspection bulk start:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StartBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
>      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>      New command: openstack overcloud node introspect
> openstack baremetal introspection bulk status:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:StatusBaremetalIntrospectionBulk
>      NOT Deprecated
> openstack baremetal configure ready state:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureReadyState
>      NOT Deprecated
> openstack baremetal configure boot:
>      tripleoclient.v1.baremetal:ConfigureBaremetalBoot
>      DEPRECATED in b272a5c6 2017-01-03
>      New command: openstack overcloud node configure

YES PLEASE to all of this. The "baremetal" part make users often confuse these
commands with ironicclient commands.

> So my questions are basically:
> 1) Can we remove the deprecated code?
> 2) Does leaving the not deprecated commands make sesne?
> 3) Should we deprecate the remaining commands?
> 3) Do I need to update ValidateInstackEnv or is it okay for it to be
>     busted for my use case?

I'm sorry for not getting to it ever, but the fix should be quite simple. You
need to drop all its code from tripleoclient and make it use this workflow
instead:
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/master/workbooks/baremetal.yaml#L103.
It is much newer, and is actually used in enrollment as well. If it is also
broken for you - please fix it. But the code in tripleoclient is long rotten :)