[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:57:28 UTC 2017

On 12/14/2017 12:36 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> This isn't really fair to the users. They're running what we tell them
> to run. They're also running what we try to test together, which is all
> the same versions of the same components at integrated release time.
>
> While I do think most users_should_  stick to what's tested together,
> and we should keep testing things together, I also think we should be
> more comfortable telling users to go ahead and install a new release of
> Nova and feel confident they're going to be supported in doing so.
>
> The batch size for "upgrade the whole cloud" is too big. Let's help our
> users advance components one at a time, and then we won't have to worry
> so much about doing the whole integrated release dance so often.

Nova can certainly run with older versions of all the other projects. We
communicate over (mostly) versioned REST APIs (glance v2.0 is fine for
nova, keystone v3 is fine, cinder has microversions, and neutron exposes
new API features using extensions).

I agree that it's a risk to run that way because it's not how we do CI
testing, but it's totally possible and I agree that we should be telling
people you can do this.

Matt