[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:46:26 UTC 2017

On 12/14/2017 7:07 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> It takes time to get a feature merged (or any significant work done) in
> OpenStack. It takes time to get reviews, we need to be careful about not
> breaking all our users, etc. If you are a 20% time person, it's just
> impossible to get something significant done within the timeframe of a
> cycle, which leads to frustration as you have to get your stuff
> re-discussed and re-prioritized at the start of the next cycle.

If the change that the 20% person is trying to get done is not an actual
priority for the project, and is significant, then yes it's going to
take a long time because a stretched core team isn't going to prioritize
helping to design, implement, review and support something that most
people don't care about.

If the thing that the 20% contributor is pushing is not all that
complicated and is shared as a need by many people (I'm thinking
operators community here), then it's easier for the project maintainers
as a whole to agree that it should be bumped up in priority. There are a
few cases like this in nova in the last couple of releases (changing key
on rebuild in queens, extend attached volume in pike).

Matt