[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 14 14:12:55 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-14 12:15:08 +0100 (+0100), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
[...]
> loop operators into PTGs more.

If by "operators" you mean people who run OpenStack, then yes while
many of our developers are also operators it definitely makes sense
to have increasing amounts of overlap with operators participating
in software development.

If by "operators" you mean people who are unable or unwilling to
participate in developing software then I suspect attempting to
extend the PTG to that demographic will serve only as a distraction
from people trying to do high-bandwidth codevelopment on a team.

I personally prefer the first definition. Operators are often also
developers and vice versa. It's not one side against the other, but
to me the PTG is mostly about doing software development so
attendees should come prepared to roll up their sleeves and do that.
--
Jeremy Stanley