[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Dec 14 14:03:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 14 2017, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> It takes time to get a feature merged (or any significant work done) in
> OpenStack. It takes time to get reviews, we need to be careful about not
> breaking all our users, etc. If you are a 20% time person, it's just
> impossible to get something significant done within the timeframe of a
> cycle, which leads to frustration as you have to get your stuff
> re-discussed and re-prioritized at the start of the next cycle.
>
> I'm open to other ways to solve what is perceived by many as an
> untenable cadence -- but so far the only suggestion I got on this thread
> was that 20% people should really ask their manager to become 80%
> people. And I don't see that happening.

Yeah that does not seem realistic.

I like the way you state the problem actually: "it's just impossible to
get something significant done within the timeframe of a cycle, which
leads to frustration as you have to get your stuff re-discussed and
re-prioritized at the start of the next cycle".

So the first thing that comes to mind is that having a longer release
cycle will fix it.

However, has anyone tried to understand the reasons why it is hard to
impossible to do anything useful in a cycle, other than "it is too
short"?

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker