[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Fred Li yongle.li at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 11:22:20 UTC 2017

I noticed some OpenStack distro vendors in China(not all the vendors)
like the idea to have one release per year. There are couple of
different reason:
1. It takes about 3 to 6 months to productize the release. But
customers always expect the vendors to productize every single
release, which cost a lot to the vendors.
2. prefer longer development cycle to have more features and to
stabilize the release.
I don't think the reason 2 is valid, so I will ignore this. The reason
1 does exist.

But I don't think the the proposal to change release cycle to one year
is good enough to accept.
What image OpenStack community gives to customers if we change the
release cycle to 1 year? I guess there could be 2. The first one is
that OpenStack is mature enough. The second could be that OpenStack is
stepping down as fewer developers are working on it, thus the output
is not big enough. Considering the second reason, I don't think this
idea is good.

The problem some vendors cost is high to follow every single release
still exists. My proposal is OpenStack Foundation can adjust the
release strategy, like the first 6 months release is features&bugs
focused, and the next 6 months' is mainly bugs focused. I would say
that it is more a marketing strategy than a technical development
strategy to manage customers' expectation, and can probably help
vendors not to productize each release.

I also share my opinion about ptg/summit/mid-cycle here.
Despite how long the release cycle is, the engineers do need meet in
person periodically. My feeling (sorry, I don't have pretty convincing
figure) is around every 3 months. So design summit (or PTG) every 6
months is mandatory, as the developers need talk about cross-project
topics together, and it is easier to find sponsors supporting formal
events than others (e.g. mid-cycle). Mid-cycle can be decided by each
project team. And to save travel cost, to have the summit and ptg in
the same week and same city is an option.

My 1 cent.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Renat Akhmerov
<renat.akhmerov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2017, 17:04 +0700, wrote:
>

> Can you detail more how having a longer cycle will make people that
> spends 20% of their time on OpenStack "catch up" with the people that
> spends 80% of their time on OpenStack?
>
> I understand the problem but I don't see how the proposed solution
> solves it.
>

> Yes, exactly.
>

> Renat Akhmerov
> @Nokia