[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:55:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2017 4:15 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Based on several discussions I had with developers working part-time on
>> OpenStack at various events lately, it sounded like slowing down our
>> pace could be helpful to them and generally reduce stress in OpenStack
>> development. I know people who can spend 100% of their time upstream can
>> cope with our current rhythm. I just observe that we have less and less
>> of those full-time people and need to attract more of the part-time one.
>>
>> If this proposal is not helping developers and making OpenStack
>> development less painful, I don't think we should do it:)
>>

> Given I have the luxury of working mostly full time upstream, I've
> obviously got a skewed perspective on this whole discussion.
>
> I am interested in which part time developers are having issues keeping up
> and how, i.e. are these core team members that don't feel they can be good
> core reviewers if they aren't around enough to keep up with the changes
> that are happening? I could definitely see a case like that with some of
> the complicated stuff going on in nova like the placement and cells v2 work.
>
> If we're talking about part time contributors that are contributing bug
> fixes here and there, docs patches, random reviews, I'm not sure how this
> is substantially better for them.
>
> We've said in this thread that project teams are encouraged to still do
> intermediate releases, often. And we're still going to be working on
> features, so how does that help slow things down for the part time
> contributor?
>
> If *everyone* must slow down then that's going to be a problem I think,
> unless we do something like alternating intermediate releases where there
> are new features and then only bug fixes, something like that - up to the
> discretion of each project team as they see fit.

This sounds like a path we should consider/discuss more. Are you suggesting
do 1 year but 6 months for new features then next 6 for bug fixes only or
vice versa? Or keep current 6 month cadence and communicate our spring
release is feature rich with ... feature (when the time comes of course),
and our fall release is bug-fix only?

> I haven't seen anyone mention this yet either, but if "slowing down"
> begins to look like we're entering maintenance mode, I don't think that's
> going to attract new developers and it's likely to mean long-time key
> maintainers are going to lose interest and start looking elsewhere to
> scratch their itches. It's hard to say what would happen. I can certainly
> keep myself busy with docs patches and bug fixes until the cows come home.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Kind regards,