[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 13 22:15:11 UTC 2017

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> That said, I'm more interested in settling the question of whether
> changing the development cycle helps development teams in any way
> before we consider other effects. Because if it doesn't do any good
> then there's no reason to solve problems we won't have, and if we
> agree it *does* do us some good then we're motivated to work out
> the other details.

Exactly. That's what this proposal is about.

Based on several discussions I had with developers working part-time on
OpenStack at various events lately, it sounded like slowing down our
pace could be helpful to them and generally reduce stress in OpenStack
development. I know people who can spend 100% of their time upstream can
cope with our current rhythm. I just observe that we have less and less
of those full-time people and need to attract more of the part-time one.

If this proposal is not helping developers and making OpenStack
development less painful, I don't think we should do it :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)