[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Dec 13 22:07:50 UTC 2017

On Dec 13, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Tim Bell <tim.bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> There is a risk that deployment to production is delayed, and therefore feedback is delayed and the wait for the ‘initial bug fixes before we deploy to prod’ gets longer.

There is always a rush at the Feature Freeze point in a cycle to get things in, or they will be delayed for 6 months. With the year-long cycle, now anything missing Feature Freeze will be delayed by a year. The long cycle also means that a lot more time will be spent backporting things to the current release, since people won’t be able to wait a whole year for some improvements.

Maybe it’s just the dev in me, but I prefer shorter cycles (CD, anyone?).

-- Ed Leafe