[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 17:54:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I personally don't expect anyone to pick up these intermediate releases. I
> expect most consumers are going to pick up a coordinated release (several
> months or years after it's released), especially if that's what the distro
> vendors are going to be doing. So Nova could release once per quarter but I
> wouldn't expect anyone to pick it up except maybe hosting companies, but not
> even sure about that.

Same feeling here, which is why I think this proposal will encourage
folks to release their product/platform less often, with more features
(instead of smaller & more often).
Maybe it would even have the drawback of increasing the feedback loop
from operators...

[...]

Also, I would like to note that for some projects, being PTL is an
heavy task and I would like to make clear in the proposal that
projects are free to change PTL during the one-year cycle if they
need.

At a first glance, I'm not a big fan on this proposal so far, because
even if we let folks to release more often than before, the message is
still about having one official release per year (and all the things
that come with it).
I'll keep thinking about it and probably change my mind.
--
Emilien Macchi