[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Telles Nobrega tenobreg at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 17:43:49 UTC 2017

I share the same concerns that Matt and Dmitry have already spoken. One
year release process seems like a good plan, but I do feel that cuting the
PTG can directly affect the progress of the cycle.

It would take a great effort from PTLs and Core team to keep developement
going smoothly througout the whole year. I'm not saying it is impossible,
but a little more structure during the release cycle, milestones, or hard
OpenStack wise deadlines could help as well.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2017 06:29 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 05:16:35PM +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> >> Hey

> meet

> that
> cross-collaboration,
>
> +++
>

> >> I can't speak for the Foundation, but I would think it would be good to
> >> have an official PTG in the middle of the cycle (perhaps neatly aligned
> >> with some kind of milestone/event) that lets people discuss plans for
> >> finishing off the release, and early work they want to get started on
> for
> >> the subsequent release). The problem with team-organised midcycles (as
> I'm
> >> sure everyone remembers), is that there's little/no opportunity for
> >> cross-project work.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Chris
> >
> > This was one of my concerns initially too. We may have to see how things
> go and
> > course correct once we have a little more data to go on. But the thought
> (or at
> > least the hope) was that we could get by with using the one PTG early in
> the
> > cycle to get alignment, then though IRC, the mailing list, and the
> Forums (keep
> > in mind there will be two Forums within the cycle) we would be able to
> keep
> > things going and discuss any cross project concerns.
>
> Let's please not bring Forum in this context, unless we want to move it
> back to
> the Summit format. Which is not impossible though, we can have one event as
> Forum (+ PTG somewhere close), one event similar to former Summit.
>

> > This may actually get more emphasis on developers attending the Forum. I
> think
> > that is one part of our PTG/Design Summit split that has not fully
> settled the
> > way we had hoped. The Forum is still encouraged for developers to
> attend. But I
> > think the reality has been many companies now just see the Summit as a
> > marketing event and see no reason to send any developers.
>
> It won't change from merely removing one PTG. PTGs really work much better
> than
> Summits used to work for technical discussions, from my experience. Unless
> we
> make Forums work as well, it will be just as hard to justify going there,
> even
> without a PTG.
>

> > I can say from the last couple Forum experiences, a lot of really good
> > discussions have happened there. It's really been unfortunate that there
> were a
> > lot of key people missing from some of those discussions though.
> Personally, my
> [...]

TELLES NOBREGA

SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Red Hat Brasil  <https://www.redhat.com/>

Av. Brg. Faria Lima, 3900 - 8º andar - Itaim Bibi, São Paulo

tenobreg at redhat.com
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
 Red Hat é reconhecida entre as melhores empresas para trabalhar no Brasil
pelo Great Place to Work.