[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 13 17:11:20 UTC 2017

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 12/13/2017 10:17 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> [...]
>> Why one year ?
>>
>> Why not switch to 9 months ? Beyond making the math a lot easier, this
>> has mostly to do with events organization. The Summits are already
>> locked for 2018/2019 with a pattern of happening in April/May and
>> October/November. As we want to keep the PTG event as a separate
>> work-focused productive event at the start of every cycle, and not have
>> it collide with one of those already-planned summits, going for a yearly
>> rhythm is the best solution.
>
> If we're being honest, how much of this proposal is driven by the
> Foundation's need to cut back on paying for organized events and people
> in community leadership positions needing to travel less, especially
> when their travel plans have increased with the needs to attend a bunch
> of other non-OpenStack community events?

It's mostly fueled by in-person discussions I had with developers over
the past months. As we try to make OpenStack development more palatable
to part-time contributors, I think our rhythm is a bit insane, and an
obstacle to getting more people involved with OpenStack. A lot of people
have been mentioning the difficulty to participate to summits now, and I
think keeping devs out of summits is not a good solution either.

Funding, organizing and finding sponsors for ETOOMANYEVENTS is of course
difficult, so relaxing the pressure there is of course beneficial there
too, but I would not say it's a main objective of the proposal.

>> When ?
>>
>> If we switch, we could either pick February/March or August/September as
>> the start of cycle / yearly PTG time. From an events organization
>> perspective, it is a lot easier to organize a week-long event in
>> February/March. August is a no-go for a lot of the world. Early
>> September is a mess with various US and religious holidays. Late
>> September is just too close to the October/November summit.
>>
>> So the year-long cycles would ideally start at the beginning of the
>> year, when we would organize the yearly PTG. That said, I'm not sure we
>> can really afford to keep the current rhythm for one more year before
>> switching. That is why I'd like us to consider taking the plunge and
>> just doing it for *Rocky*, and have a single PTG in 2018 (in Dublin).
>
> We can't afford it, literally? Or somehow figuratively, like the current
> imposed pace of development is killing us?

The latter :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)