[openstack-dev] [all] cyclomatic complexity check in flake8 & Python 3

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 12 13:08:33 UTC 2017

Zane Bitter wrote:
> We have around 60 repos using the 'mccabe' package to do cyclomatic
> complexity checks in flake8 in their gate jobs.[1] Based on advice
> received at the time[2], the version of mccabe that we use in the gate
> is effectively pinned to 0.2.1 by hacking (the project, not... never
> mind).[3]
>
> This is starting to cause problems, because version 0.2.1 does not work
> with Python 3. By 'does not work' I don't mean that it refuses to run, I
> mean that it returns completely different numbers. (As far as I can tell
> they're always the same or lower.) tox creates the pep8 environment
> using the version of python that tox itself is running in, so as distros
> increasingly prefer to install packages using python3, people will
> increasingly be running flake8 under python3, and they'll run into
> situations like the one I had today where their pep8 tests pass locally
> but fail in the gate (which still runs under python2). When the gate
> switches to python3, as I assume it eventually must, we'll get bogus
> results.
>
> Unfortunately, moving to a later version is complicated by the fact that
> 0.2.1 was... not good software. There is exactly one regression test.[4]
> And if you're about to ask whether it was to check the trivial case that
> the function:
>
>   def foo():
>       return None
>
> has a cyclomatic complexity of 1, then the joke is on you because it
> actually returns 2 for that function.
>
> Later versions have more tests and appear to be consistent with each
> other and across python versions, but they return completely different
> results to 0.2.1. And the results are mostly higher, so if we bump the
> requirements many of those 60 projects will break.
>
> (I could also go into details on how the numbers that later versions
> report are also wrong in different ways, but I'll save it for another day.)
>
> Here's how the allegedly most complex function in Heat[5] shakes out,
> for example:
>
>   mccabe  py27  py36
>   0.2.1    14     6
>   0.3.1    23    23
>   0.6.1    23    23
>
> I don't have a solution to suggest, but I burned most of my day digging
> into this so I just wanted to let y'all know how screwed we are.
Thanks for digging into this, Zane. I'd say we have two options, based
on how useful running those tests is:

1/ If they are useful, we should bump the version, at the same time
adjusting max-complexity per repo to match the most complex function
(with some slack factor). Encourage more projects to use cyclomatic
complexity checks and fix the biggest offenders using cycle goals.

2/ If they are not useful, just drop cyclomatic complexity tests overall
rather than relying on wrong results and wasting CPU cycles

So I'd like to hear from the 60+ repos on whether using those tests lead
to any good results :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)