[openstack-dev] [all] Changes to releasenotes and docs build jobs

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sat Dec 9 14:37:10 UTC 2017

On 11/22/2017 07:39 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey everybody!
>
> Following recent changes [0] in the PTI [1][2] we're rolling out some
> changes to the build-openstack-releasenotes and
> build-openstack-sphinx-docs jobs. If you see patches with the topic
> 'updated-pti' - they are in service of this.
>
> The most important thing to be aware of is that we'll no longer be using
> tox for either of them. There are a few reasons for that - the one
> that's most important to me is that it allows us to use the exact same
> docs and releasenotes build jobs for python, go, javascript or any other
> language without needing to add python build tooling to non-python
> repos. We'll also align more with how readthedocs does things in the
> broader python ecosystem.
>
> It's also worth reminding people that we've NEVER used 'tox -edocs' in
> the gate for docs jobs - so anyone who has additional things in their
> docs environment has not been having those things run. For folks running
> doc8, we recommend adding those checks to your pep8 environment instead.
>
> It's also worth noting that we're adding support for a
> doc/requirements.txt file (location chosen for alignment readthedocs) to
> express requirements needed for all docs (for both releasenotes and
> docs). We'll start off falling back to test-requirements.txt ... but, we
> recommend splitting doc related requirements into doc/requirements.txt -
> since that will mean not needing to install Sphinx when doing tox
> unittests.
>
> Specific info
> =============
>
> Releasenotes
> ------------
>
> The patches for releasenotes have been approved and merged.
>
> * We use -W for all releasenotes builds - this means warnings are always
> errors for releasenotes. That shouldn't bother anyone, as most of the
> releasenotes content is generated by reno anyway.
>
> * We're temporarily installing the project to get version number. Doing
> this will be removed as soon as the changes in
> topic:releasenotes-version land. Note this only changes the version
> number on the front page, not what is shown. topics:releasenotes-version

The majority of the changes for this have merged, let's move forward:

https://review.openstack.org/526850

> * Installs dependencies via bindep for doc environment.
>
> * doc/requirements.txt is used for installation of python dependencies.
> Things like whereto or openstackdocstheme should go there.
>
> Documentation builds
> --------------------
>
> * We use -W only if setup.cfg sets it
>
> * Installs dependencies via bindep for doc environment. Binary deps,
> such as graphviz, should be listed in bindep and marked with a 'doc' tag.
>
> * doc/requirements.txt is used for installation of python dependencies.
> Things like whereto or openstackdocstheme should go there.
>
> * tox_install.sh used to install project if it exists. Because of the
> current situation with neutron and horizon plugins it's necessary to run
> tox_install.sh if it exists as part of setup. We eventually want to make
> that go away, but that's a different effort. There are seven repos with
> a problematic tox_install.sh - patches will be arriving to fix them, and
> we won't land the build-openstack-sphinx-docs changes until they have
> all landed.

For many projects, tox_install.sh is not needed at all and can be easily
replaced. Changes are up for those that we can replace easily - and many
are already merged. For open changes, see

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open++topic:rm-tox_install

Please review and merge,

Andreas